Fighting against fake and dubious malware has been an issue for half a decade now. Despite having an antivirus program, fake malware alerts pop-ups on Windows 10 Apps. Millions of Windows 10 users complain, that they are being cast by hackers and cyber frauds via the Windows 10 software to deliver fake ads and suspicious malware and to show that they have won a new iPhone.
In the month of June 2019 security analysts and senior researchers discloses that there is a potential threat related to security. They warned millions of users that Windows 10 desktop apps have been in use by cybercriminals to release malware into the system and put up fake notifications and ads.
Microsoft has always been a target for this kind of scam to the hacker community. And the data says that malvertising programs have delivered more than 100 million of these fake ads and alerts through 10 Windows 10 to date.
According to an expert’s claim, users PC are already infected by a vast number of viruses which contain a warning showing “personal and banking information is at risk”. And those who are not aware of theses scams fall for the trap and end up to a phishing page or unwanted software download by just pressing a Scan Now button.
This kind of pop-ups or suspicious ads often asks the users to participate in a survey and some really believe that they have won an iPhone without even doing anything productive. These attempts of malicious and fake ads make the users click a button which in turn can make them download unwanted software and give up their personal data without even knowing.
Recommended Service: iPhone Repair Dubai
Hong Kong Network
According to the Confiant deep research and analysis, the operation is named “Fiber Ads”. And moreover, it came straight out of Hong Kong. Partnering with demand-side platforms (DSPs) that regulated the automated placement of advertisings which can easily target users while they are browsing.
Basically, the concept of Fiber ads is used to connect to the DSPs unsuspiciously which as an output gave access to the premium users. And the premium audiences are a symbol of a high-value target for the cyber frauds in the malvertising market.
Almost 50 domains were used to create Fiber ads in the year 2019. And 100 domains were found back in 2017 which implicates that they are not petty data thieves but well resourced and well organized criminal campaigns.
Eliya Stein senior security advisors in Confiant said that the “new ad serving domains will continue to show up by the malvertisers on different platforms weekly”.
How to know that there is dubious adware on your system?
The regular activities on your PC won’t be enough to understand that there are undesirable bodies present in your system that can potentially affect your PC and your personal data.
These typical sign could indicate that you have adware
- There are a few fix locations where advertisements appear, but in this case, the fake ads and alerts will appear in places they shouldn’t be and this is a sign of the presence of malware.
- Website links redirecting to unexpected sites are a typical sign of adware.
- There are a few websites that you frequently visit, and if they don’t work properly or there is an error displaying those sites, it is quite sure you malware have made your pc their home.
- Sometimes browsers show pop-ups suggesting fake updates and an active user or a techie would understand the difference a fake and official update.
- Unwanted software and programs installed without your consent is another sign that you are affected with serious malware.
How to Remove unwanted malware, fake ads, and Pop-ups?
Resetting your browser is a decent option to go for but before that, I would recommend you check your computer for unwanted programs.
Check if there is unwanted malware. Chrome also helps you find malicious software and remove them but I suggest you check manually and remove the malware.
- Start by Opening Chrome
- Go to the top right corner and click on More for Settings
- When the Settings option appears just click on Advanced option.
- Now under the “Reset and clean up” option, select Clean Up Computer.
- Once done click on Find.
- It will recommend you to remove unwanted software, so just click on Remove option.
- When you are done, Reboot your computer
Now Reset Your Browser Settings
- Open Chrome on your PC
- Go to the top right and click on More for Settings.
- Now click on Advanced option
- For Linux, Mac, and Chromebook: Under Reset Settings click Restore settings to their original defaults > Reset Settings
- For Windows: Under Reset and Cleanup click on Reset Settings > Reset Settings
I hope you have removed all the unwanted programs from your browser and successfully reset your browser settings. Now you if you want to turn on important extensions just click on More > More Tools > Extensions and remember to keep those who are legit and you can trust.
Coming to a conclusion
We have covered How to Deal with Dubious Malware Alerts and this way you can know how to stop pop up ads on windows 10. I really hope that your computer should be free of malware and fake ads and pop-ups by now.
But to be honest this is not the ultimate step to save your PC from welcoming wanted guests. You continuously have to stay aware while you are browsing the internet and always check if something feels suspicious.
Never ignore this kind of dubious software that could harm your PC as well as exploit your personal information.