Security and your data privacy are of greater concern and importance to living in 2019. The world has witnessed several data hacks, cyberattacks, and digital crime. And the digital era has raised consciousness about our privacy among us.
The concern regarding Windows 10 collecting more data that it requires from the users is on the rise. And people are highly alert of their private information. If you doubt that Windows 10 is gathering too much private data and crossing the line of privacy we could help you secure Windows 10.
The recent release of the Windows 10 version happens to be version 1903. An earlier version of Windows 10 may differ a little. Microsoft has added several new features which include new ransomware protection to windows defender and it is a built-in software for Virus protection. To protect your privacy and make sure no eyes are watching over your activity go through the article mindfully.
Setting up protection settings for Windows 10 PCs
The methods you will be seeing here is supported by Windows and is an effective process, to be honest. Just stick to the article to know more about how to protect your data on Windows 10.
How to secure Windows 10
- Start by going to the Admin center at https://admin.microsoft.com
- When it appears, navigate to the left panel and choose Devices > Policies > Add.
- Create a unique name on the Policy Name bar under Add Policy.
- Then select Windows 10 device configuration under the Policy Type.
- Click on the drop-down to expand Secure Windows 10 Devices
- Customize the setting and check the box that you want to opt for.
Note: You will always have the Reset Default Settings options in case you want to change your mind.
- The next step is to decide Who will get these settings? It’s up to you if you want to use the default All Users security group or choose Change search for the security group who will get these settings
- Once you are finished, select Done to save the policy and assign it to devices.
There are other methods to protect your data. But before that let me tell you ransomware are like a virus that can encrypt data on an infected device and then ask for ransom in the form of digital currency(Cryptocurrency) to decrypt it. It is one of the Windows 10 security features that many haven’t figured it out. So, if you wish to activate this protection feature in your PC follow our step-by-step instructions.
How to Protect your data on Windows 10 by activating Virus Protection
At first, make sure you are using the latest version of Windows 10 i.e version 1903. If not, grab the free version from Mircosoft online Website for free because this offer will expire very soon.
Before that make sure you are not using a third-party virus protection software.
Steps to follow
- Click on the Start menu
- Now look for the Windows Security and select it.
- Or you can navigate to the Settings app and head to Update and Security
- Now go to Virus & Threat Protection option.
- The list is long, so just scrawl down and locate Ransomware Protection
- Click on the Manage Ransomware protection
- Further, allow Controlled Folder Access and then login into Microsoft account to enable protection.
- Once it is done, click on configure Controlled Folder Access and choose the folders you want to protect and administer for the ransomware.
I hope these steps are quite clear to you and would definitely protect your PC against ransomware. Apart from these in-built windows 10 security updates protection features that Microsoft offers, you can manually try to implement more protective measures to keep your device absolutely secure.
How to Secure your data in Windows 10 (Other measures)
Turn off Ad tracking
Besides the general concerns about data privacy, we also worry about what kind of data is being gathered. Several companies use a person’s profile and their interests to target ads. Windows 10 uses an advertising ID and these collect information both the time you browse your web and open the Windows 10 applications. You can turn it off if you want
- Launch the Windows 10 settings app
- Go to the Settings menu
- Then Go to Privacy > General
- Under the Change Privacy Options, a list of choice will come up
- The First controls and Advertising ID
- Just swipe the slider from on to off and you will be done
You will still get ads, but that won’t be the targeted ones. Just generic ads will show up.
If you are still not feeling okay, then navigate to the Ad Settings section of Microsoft’s Privacy Dashboard. From here you can turn off any other method Microsoft will use to target ads given with a list of choices.
All these methods explained above can help solve your problem of protecting your data and preventing your privacy.
Wrapping things Up
Our discussion on How to protect your data and privacy on Windows 10 PCs is your first step towards securing your privacy and hope you have liked the methods discussed above. You can implement any one of the above which is most suitable for you.
We cannot say all your data will be completely secured, it is because the Internet is complicated and simple at the same time. These are the best ways suggested for you to keep your data secure from your end.